Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leopold Senghor
Originally, I was going to choose my own poet, as I wanted to start work while I was at a workshop starting 1st August.  But I couldn't make up my mind!  So I decided to stick with my assigned poet.  Unfortunately, I have never heard of him, so have had to do some research.  That's not proved easy as he wrote in French, I believe, and although I have found some English translations, they are way over my head!  This was a black African man who was the first president of Senegal, much of whose work appears to involve images of black women.  I am a white woman who comes from a country which heavily colonised large parts of Africa and stripped them of their resources, so it's no wonder I find it difficult to relate!  I am persevering at the moment, trying to think of some imagery I can use.  I'm trying hard not to give up, as the point to me of signing up was to stretch my creative ideas.  Wish me luck!
(08-23-2024, 03:59 PM)Jill Wrote: Originally, I was going to choose my own poet, as I wanted to start work while I was at a workshop starting 1st August.  But I couldn't make up my mind!  So I decided to stick with my assigned poet.  Unfortunately, I have never heard of him, so have had to do some research.  That's not proved easy as he wrote in French, I believe, and although I have found some English translations, they are way over my head!  This was a black African man who was the first president of Senegal, much of whose work appears to involve images of black women.  I am a white woman who comes from a country which heavily colonised large parts of Africa and stripped them of their resources, so it's no wonder I find it difficult to relate!  I am persevering at the moment, trying to think of some imagery I can use.  I'm trying hard not to give up, as the point to me of signing up was to stretch my creative ideas.  Wish me luck!

A challenge helps us grow, so I wish you luck. I was assigned a poet I knew nothing about and glad I was as it gives me a chance to learn. Your sounds more challenging but hopefully some word or phrase of his will resonate with you.
(08-25-2024, 02:29 AM)RGcincy Wrote:
(08-23-2024, 03:59 PM)Jill Wrote: Originally, I was going to choose my own poet, as I wanted to start work while I was at a workshop starting 1st August.  But I couldn't make up my mind!  So I decided to stick with my assigned poet.  Unfortunately, I have never heard of him, so have had to do some research.  That's not proved easy as he wrote in French, I believe, and although I have found some English translations, they are way over my head!  This was a black African man who was the first president of Senegal, much of whose work appears to involve images of black women.  I am a white woman who comes from a country which heavily colonised large parts of Africa and stripped them of their resources, so it's no wonder I find it difficult to relate!  I am persevering at the moment, trying to think of some imagery I can use.  I'm trying hard not to give up, as the point to me of signing up was to stretch my creative ideas.  Wish me luck!

A challenge helps us grow, so I wish you luck. I was assigned a poet I knew nothing about and glad I was as it gives me a chance to learn. Your sounds more challenging but hopefully some word or phrase of his will resonate with you.
Thank you for those words of encouragement.  I hope you are making progress with your poet.
Good luck! Remember, you can always go abstract. Focus on colors and shapes that resonate, rather than specific imagery.

I'm having a different sort of challenge. I had never heard of my poet, and it appears that the redditors of /poetry have banned this poet as a spammy "instapoet". Ah well, and I sort of like her poet too, so I'm still going for it.
(08-26-2024, 03:43 PM)Sandra Wrote: Good luck!  Remember, you can always go abstract.  Focus on colors and shapes that resonate, rather than specific imagery. 

I'm having a different sort of challenge.  I had never heard of my poet, and it appears that the redditors of /poetry have banned this poet as a spammy "instapoet".  Ah well, and I sort of like her poet too, so I'm still going for it.

Thank you Sandra.  I think something is gradually coming together!  

The arbiters of taste have no place in our work!  So keep going with your poet.  I look forward to seeing your piece.